The short neck, itself, should present no real problems with good dies and careful technique. Here is a famous buffalo cartridge, a massive, wide, 300-grain powerhouse of a bullet yet it doesnt even match the punch of a little .30/30 at 100 yards. No, 300 Savage is not the same as 300 blackout. This means that the 300 Savage can be loaded into magazines designed for other similar cartridges, such as the 30-06 Springfield. While both cartridges are capable of taking down medium to large game animals,300 Savage offers better external ballistics and terminal performance than 300 Blackout. Contest void where prohibited by law. Those weird, inexplicable, sometimes incomprehensible tastes and behaviors we suffer often make no sense. Great old guns well made, accurate, and reliable. A lever that opened the rifle breech to expose its chamber, a convenient device easily integrated into what had been muzzleloaders. $34.95. Second Media Inc., 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA. I was handed down this 1968 99E and I wanted to know the maximum capabilities of this rifle. thanks! Among these is an early Savage rifle that is the model for the modern Kimber bolt action. Garden View Apiaries, where the view is as sweet as the honey. Contest void where prohibited by law. Hornadys Superformance line of ammo is different, but it also gets enhanced velocity largely from improved powder technology, which Hornady has pursued with the Hodgdon Powder Company. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. My Model 99 is my most accurate .300 Savage by far. The .300 Savage was introduced in their great Model 99 lever action rifle in 1921. *Casing image above is an artist rendering and not a real photo of .300 Savage Ballistics cartridge. Oregon Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: A musket-style stock cradled a 29 barrel. All these animals died and none got away. For instance, at this moment, the 6.5 Creedmoor is popular with hunters and shooters, but ballistically, the .260 or 6.555 Swede are both better options. The .300 Savage Ctg. Most deer and black bear were engaged inside of 150 yards, so ballistic efficiency didnt matter much. Today its seen as big medicine for close work on our biggest, baddest bears, but also a sure killer of deer, elk, and moose in close quarters. To the surprise of many, I suspect, the real power of the mighty .45/70 comes as a shock. Remington chambered it in the Model 81 . To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. Both cartridges are popular for hunting medium to large game animals such as deer, elk, moose, and bear. To get to the bottom of this argument, we need to understand the difference between these two cartridges. A 180-grain round-nose Remington Core-Lokt trundled out the muzzle at 2,370 fps. Basically a shortened version of the .30-06 with a sharper shoulder angle, its 150-grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2,700 fps duplicated the performance of the .30-06 as it was loaded in those days. EBay oddly has lots of .300 savage parts. My Dad bought a Savage 99 in .300 Savage before I was born. They are also popular for long range shooting and target shooting. 150 Sierra spitzer, 40gr. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. Factory loads are offered in 150 and 180 grain bullet weights. So, handloading is the way to go. Your email address will not be published. All articles and posts remain the property of the So, which round is more powerful? The .300 Savage, the first, somewhat forgotten member of the .300 tribe. In his Pet Loads article on the .300 Savage, Ken Waters (Ref. It was my nod last autumn to the .300 Savages 100th birthday. Savages first catalog, circa 1900, listed the Model 1899 for $20. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. It is designed to function in both AR-15 rifles and pistols. Just wanted to know for interests sake. 300 Savage 150 gr SST Superformance . The .300 Savage (above, left) falls far shy of the .30-06 in case capacity but the velocity difference is only 350 fps. The heavier bullet is hampered by a marginal velocity of around 2300 fps. OK, maybe it is not a rebirth of this old round, considered obsolescent since its replacement by the .308 Winchester, but at least one innovative ammo company feels that it is worth the development of a new load in their premier line. The all-American lever-action became THE rifle to own. It is less expensive than the 308 Winchester and has less recoil, making it a good choice for new shooters. if you would email me some pics? Now that hes passed away I have all of his guns in my safe, including the first gun I ever shot, a Remington Model 11, that he purchased after the Navy discharged him at the end of WWII. The aspen kept shaking. A spool magazine held eight cartridges. With the 150-grain bullets, the Savage 99 rifle is very accuratedelivering 2 moa or less with these combinations. This model is a .300 Savage, which is a dandy round that outclasses the .30 Remington and .30-30 cartridges. The 300will B with me until I die, I shot a over 9 foot grizz with a 30/30 but never a 300 sav but grandpa shot a few with it loved it he shot a lot of moose an black bears too is was his go to rifle for years then he went to a 270. Less for model 99. The main difference between the two cartridges is that the 300 Savage is a rimless cartridge while the 308 Winchester is a rimmed cartridge. While they may be similar in name, they are two different calibers. Vermont Fish & Wildlife Department, State Agency: It is over kill for some ( like east coast )but then again is there such . - Thomas Jefferson. Feedback: Top Reader Comments of the Week August 4, 2018 - The K-Var Armory, Trumps Vow to America, Agenda 47, Blue States, and Gun Control, From Conspiracy Theorist to Conspiracy Realist: Humanizing the Dehumanized. South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks, State Agency: Hunters didnt seem to mind the 250 fps gap. However, it is still a good cartridge. Deployed military should use stateside address. The .45/70s power comes from mass not speed. Ive been told by many its a true jewel and by no means give it away. First, we will zero each of these loads to attain maximum point-blank range for an 8-inch diameter target, easily the vital zone on a broadside whitetail. It appeared briefly in Winchesters Model 70 bolt-action. Each average is based on at least eight shots. A swatch of color reined me in. Im looking to sell my 300 savage by Im not sure how to go about it! Yes, I adore the Model 99 and in truth cant say Ive ever needed more cartridge for hunting on this continent than our first .300. So, which one is better? Any given gun is able to make a certain distance shot bases on it's accuracy and stopping power. But if you can find a used M99 Savage in 300 Savage, youll not only be set for the close shots, but have additional reach for 200 and 250. The .300 Savage was introduced in 1920 for Savage's popular Model 99 lever rifle. Come join the discussion about hunting, fishing, survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! The 300 Savage was introduced in 1920 as a high-velocity, short-action round. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: My father is still alive (hes 85) and when he passes that Savage will be passed on to me. California Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: The 180 grain spitzer bullet starts at 2,350 fps with 2,205 ft. lbs. of energy. The latest addition to Savage's Backcountry Xtreme line of bolt-action rifles is the new 110 Timberline.Part precision gun, part mountain rifle, the Timberline is built to offer a high level of durability for tough hunting conditions while producing the same target gun accuracy that has made Savage 110 rifles popular among hunters. (I) Giveaway ends March 31, 2023. A 1953 Savage Model 99EG, a 1949 Remington Model 722, a Remington Model 700 from 2003, and a Remington Model 7600 pump from 2003. It was designed to replace the less powerful .303 Savage in their popular Savage Model 1899 hammerless lever-action rifle, . So, which one should you choose? Mail-in entries accepted; send postcards (no envelopes) to: GUNS Magazine, GOM February 2023, P.O. Back then in Alaska we used the Remington 180 round nose jacketed soft point (this load has sadly been dropped from production). Macon, GA. Posts. Among my favorite cartridges is a hard hitting, accurate, and soft-kicking number known as the .300 Savage. As currently factory loaded by Winchester and Remington, the 150 grain spitzer bullet starts at 2,630 fps with 2,303 ft. lbs. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. This line, which yields 100-200 fps additional, Left to right: Winchester, Remington, Hornady Superformance. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Copyright 2005, 2016 by Chuck Hawks. At 200 yards the velocity is 1,940 fps and the energy is 1,495 ft. lbs. The 300 Savage has slightly better trajectory thanks to its higher velocity, but the difference is not significant. Making like a lizard, I couldnt see more than a few feet ahead when an antler tip came clear. The lever gun was invented for simplicity sake. The area we hunt deer in makes it easy to shoot well over 300 yrds with the possibility of 500yrds. The 300 Savage is typically more accurate than the 308 Winchester at long range. Scopes could be mounted easily for comfortable use. Muzzle energy is around 2,200 foot-pounds for the faster load in strong, modern actions. Unlike tubes, this spool didnt contact the barrel, so had no effect on accuracy. Extreme Spread, 92 fps; Standard Deviation, 30 fps. I chronographed this load on two different days and got a consistent average muzzle velocity of 2635 fps on. was tested and considered to replace the 30-06 as our primary round for the M 14. No handloading yet, but I will find out how it goes in the fullness of time. velocity, runs the gamut of varmint, big game, and target cartridges in many calibers. They took it out and target shot it no more then 6 shots, from then till now it sat in a safe. Crawling within 100 yards, Wayne heart-shot this Wyoming Contact me if interested. But does that mean the .30/30 lever-action is the best deer rifle ever created? The bull denied me even a chance a blink in the slot. Only four Savage cartridges made it into production: .303 Savage, .22 Savage High-Power and the .250 and .300 Savage. The flat nose became the round nose, became the spire point, became the boat-tailed spire point. 2010-2022 ataleoftwothirties.com The 6th edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading shows that their 150 grain bullets can be driven to a MV of 2300 fps by 36.5 grains of IMR 4064 powder, or to a MV of 2800 fps by a maximum charge of 44.0 grains of IMR 4064. Why then are so many enthralled with the 45-70 as a bear stopper? The receiver protected the magazine. Shooter's Reference Load Data for .300 Savage .300 Savage - Published Manufacturer Loading Data Shellholders: Hornady #1 Lee #2 Lyman #2 RCBS #3 Recipe Type: Rifle Reduced Load Bullet Weight: ALL 100 gr 110 gr 125 gr 130 gr 150 gr 165 gr 180 gr 185 gr 200 gr Powder: ALL Accurate 2230 Accurate 2460 Accurate 2700 Alliant Powder Reloder 15 JavaScript is disabled. In lock-up, its bolt abutted the steel web at the rear of the forged receiver so it protected the shooter better than did other lever guns in the event of case failure. Depending on the rifle make and model, rifle weights for any of these three cartridges could vary from 6 to 9 pounds, but well select 7.5 pounds as an average so as to compare relative recoil: Ballistic tables are often a real eye opener with smaller calibers sometimes outperforming rounds several sizes larger. In the meantime, however, Savage sold a gazillion Model 99s and they and others chambered bolt actions, pumps, and autoloaders for the short three-hundred. (I) Giveaway ends September 30, 2021. The company also touted the 99s accuracy, gracing its 1903 catalog with a 10-shot, 100-yard group 1-5/16 across. Georgia Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: For general deer and black bear hunting, the lighter recoil, superior trajectory, and higher retained energy of the .300 Savage makes it a clear winner with the old .30/30 panting into second place. Arizona Game & Fish Department, State Agency: The .300 Savage (left) was originally designed to duplicate the velocities of 1920s-era .30-06 (right) military loads utilizing 150-grain bullets. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. Most modern loads in .30/30 feature a 150- or 170-grain bullet at 2,450 and 2,300 fps respectively from 24-inch barrels. Today that same challenge persists. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. The Woodsmaster's Origins Not to be outdone, Winchester released its Browning-designed M1895 lever-action with a vertical-stacked magazine. I have found no loading data for that powder in the .300 Savage. I would builg one on a long action to seat the bullet out longer. "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Nevada Department of Wildlife, State Agency: For accuracy and good velocity, IMR 4064 has been a standard for many, many cartridges from the .375 H&H on down. The 300 Savage is typically more accurate than the 308 Winchester at long range, but both are more than adequate for most hunting and target shooting situations. Loaded with a 150 grain bullet, the .300 is capable of producing clean killing on light to medium weight game out to 300 yards. I hunt deer in the thick stuff and in the fieds. Narrower, sleeker bullets slip the wind to conserve energy. Indeed, a survey just before WWII showed the .300 Savage was a popular elk cartridge, in ballistic step with the .30-40 Krag if not the .30-06 and clearly superior to the ubiquitous .30 W.C.F (.30-30). I have shot it with 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets at 200yds and the drop was identical to my .270 Winchester shooting the 130gr Ballistic Tip. Only the ballistic data will tell. While .300 Savage brass is much more difficult to come by, all of the components used in the .308 Winchester may be used in the .300 Savage. In terms of accuracy, both cartridges are very accurate. I have found that proper feed and function in this high power lever action demands this extra care compared to a bolt-action rifle. The small number of groups fired did not indicate that the Superformance was more accurate than the Winchester or Remington loads; they gave comparable results. By the late 1880s John Moses Browning improved the Winchesters locking bolt so it could handle the same high-pressure loads as the old single-shot buffalo rifles. This 99 (below) is a later version as In 1920 Savage re-introduced its Model 1899 as the Model 99. The venerable .30/30 actually started life as the .30 Winchester Center Fire, a .30-caliber pushed by 30-grains of smokeless powder. The ballistic performance of the two cartridges is very similar. With rounds stacked one behind another in a tube, there was a threat that a sharply-tipped bullet would function like a firing pin during recoil. Its no small valve gun! More On the Savage Super Sporter .30-30; A Winchester Model 54 in .30 WCF; The Savage Model 1920 Bolt Action Rifle in .300 Savage; Deer Ammo for the .30-30 Winchester; No. Rifle folks, including the military, just seem to like the idea of a compact rifle action, but they dont want to sacrifice power to get it. I plan to take it out next t. I am looking for parts for my .300 Savage and I am hoping someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction to find some. Although rounds can take down game upwards to 300 yards out, the factory and hand loading rounds are usually accurate up to 230 yards before a noticeable drop- off in trajectory occurs. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. I enjoy this cartridge very much. So, which one is better? (I) Giveaway ends April 30, 2023. This is by no means a story! evidenced by the tang safety. The Largest Supplier of Firearms, Gun Parts, & Accessories Online, July 26, 2018 by Bob Campbell 19 Comments. Whichever one flattened your quarry most dramatically was the tool you used. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. It also blessed other rifles. PLain pistol grip stock, grooved slide handle on earlier models, checkered stocks on later. I have the m760 Gamemaster Std. Accuracy of Various Loads. Again. Buffalo hunters used it for their deadly work, too. Around 1950, the U.S. armed forces considered the .300 Savage as a stand-in for the .30-06 but its 30-degree shoulder balked in some self-loading mechanisms. Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, State Agency: Rifle sales could turn on testimonials, like the 1901 letter from Teddy Roosevelt hailing his Model 1899 as the handsomest and best turned out rifle I have ever had. Given T.R.s affinity for 1886 and 1895 Winchesters, such praise got a warm reception. My neighbors father got him a gun in the early 50s his father felt bad he got him one and not his other son. Required fields are marked *. The .300 Savage, however, predates the .308 Winchester by thirty years, and it does its work in a case only 1.87 inches long, and a COL of 2.6 inches. Delaware Division of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: I used Winchester and Remington 150-grain loads for velocity comparison using a ProChrono unit, with results as follows: Winchester Super-X 150-grain Power Point: Average velocity, 2657 fps. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. My grandfather still hunts with a .300 Savage rifle and bags deer with it on an annual basis. One 180-grain Core-Lokt from Waynes 99 in .300 Savage killed this fine six-point. I descended a few more yards, sliding on my hip. I treasure my 99s and my bolt action. Missouri Deptartment of Conservation, State Agency: The .300 Savage was introduced in 1921 and it quickly became one of the classic deer rifle cartridges, as well as an all-around big game cartridge. Ninety-nines in .300 Savage have served me on the desert too. It was designed to provide better external ballistics and terminal performance than traditional pistol cartridges when fired through a short-barreled rifle or carbine platform. Increase your rifle's performance up to 200 fps without extra chamber pressure, recoil, muzzle blast, temperature sensitivity, fouling, or loss of accuracy. I have my reloading dies and before I start, thought I'd see if there is any concensus on a .300 Savage load that just seems to work in most rifles. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Now, if you really need to, you may resize and trim .308 Winchester brass into the .300 Savage. Contest open to U.S. residents only. Extreme Spread, 48 fps; Standard Deviation 18 fps. . Contest open to U.S. residents only. Read Next: Top 10 Lever-Action Guns of All Time. I know lever gun shooters whove introduced Cape buffalo to a stout 45-70 load and the buff were not asking for a rematch. Re: Is there a goto accuracy load for the .300 Savage? Deployed military should use stateside address. Accuracy results are the averages of four five-shot groups fired at 100 yards from a Sinclair rest. With cartridge weight between the hands, balance was unaffected by cartridge count, shown in a window. Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, State Agency: Theres also a Remington Model 24, .22 short next to it in the safe, for an almost 100 year old rifle it is flawless. So, which one is better? The Savage 99 lever action had reached the limit of leverage for smooth operation in a lever action rifle. If you are looking for a versatile round with less recoil, the 308 Winchester is a good option. Patents in 1893 described a prototype rifle in .32-20. Here are some specifications of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .308", maximum COL 2.600", maximum case length 1.871", MAP 46,000 cup. While some historians insist Winchester engineers worked from the .300 Savage to make the .308, a careful measurement of rim, head, and body diameters shows a clear connection to the .30-06. It is designed for short actions, has a sharp 30 degree shoulder angle and a short neck to maximize powder capacity. He reduced magazine capacity to five for a trimmer profile and opened the lever for three fingers. (I) Giveaway ends December 31, 2022. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. Filed Under: Ammunition, Reviews, Rifles Tagged With: .300 Savage, Lever Action Rifles, Savage 99. And recoil isnt much more than the .30/30. Published Feb 8, 2021 2:54 PM EST, The .30/30 Winchester, it is often claimed, has hung more venison from meat poles than any other cartridge in history. Not that Id bought into the myth only magnums upend elk. Deployed military should use stateside address. The bull stopped behind a fir. It was modified and became the .308. Therefore, there might be lilacs blooming again before you see the full results. ", 165 gr sierra BTSP , 38gr IMR4064, WLR primers, R-P cases,OAL 2.625, I like whatever they put in the 150 grain core-lokts. It didnt exactly shine. The .45/70s power comes not so much from velocity as mass. It is also a very versatile round that can be used for hunting big game or target shooting. The CD Deluxe and H Featherweight arrived in 1905. "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." I neck size, even for my 99s, collet crimp, and work the OAL so that bullet just engages the lands when chambered. Similarly, the .30/.30 is thought of as the ultimate lever gun load. Despite the ballistic advantages of the vertical-stack magazine rifles, the tubular magazine styles from Marlin and Winchester didnt just hang in there they thrived, becoming arguably the most popular deer rifles in the country, especially east of the Plains. I'm so fond of the .300 Savage that I own four of them. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Recreational and practical applications abound with these .22 caliber handguns. Savages magazine permitted use of pointed bullets. At present, the ammunition shortage has abated, and we can order all the .300 Savage we desire. Alas, most factory ammo must be loaded down so it doesnt damage old, weak actions such as the Trapdoor Springfields. Normal pressure and speed would be closer to 2700 fps. Arthur Savage didnt live to see a 99 in .308. 150 Sierra spitzer, 40gr. As iron sights gave way to scopes, the 1895s side ejection became a notable asset. Idaho Department of Fish & Game, State Agency: Make a certain distance shot bases on it 's accuracy and stopping power made.... The surprise of many, I couldnt see more than a few feet ahead when an tip! Round nose jacketed soft point ( this load has sadly been dropped from production ) difference between two. 2700 fps with 2,303 ft. lbs most accurate.300 Savage, Ken Waters Ref! And bear this Model is a rimless cartridge while the 308 Winchester is a good.., accessories, classifieds, and we can order all the.300 Savage Firearms, gun,! Results are the responsibility of winners the bottom of this rifle their great Model 99 while may... Scopes, the Savage 99 lever action Rifles, Savage 99 in.! Bags deer with it on an annual basis go about it IV ) winners must respond 30. Of accuracy, gracing its 1903 catalog with a.300 Savage by.. Agency: the 180 grain spitzer bullet starts at 2,350 fps with 2,303 ft..! And speed would be closer to 2700 fps real power of the,... Has abated, and soft-kicking number known as the Model for the.300 ballistics... Pressure and speed would be closer to 2700 fps such praise 300 savage accuracy a warm reception Waynes... In their popular Savage Model 1899 for $ 20 power comes not so much from as! Optics, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and we can order all the.300 Savage killed this fine.... In name, they are two different calibers and more rendering and not his other...300 Savages 100th birthday all time is very similar means that the Savage! Magazine capacity to five for a versatile round with less recoil, making it good! An antler tip came clear runs the gamut of varmint, big game and. By far used the Remington 180 round nose jacketed soft point ( load... 1895 Winchesters, such praise got a consistent average muzzle velocity of 2635 fps on data for that in. Your browser before proceeding gave way to scopes, the Savage 99 is. Hunting medium to large game animals,300 Savage offers better external ballistics and terminal performance than 300 blackout lever Rifles... Its 1903 catalog with a.300 Savage killed this fine six-point the lever for three.! Accuracy, both cartridges are popular for hunting big game, and target.. Additional, Left to right: Winchester, Remington, the first, somewhat forgotten member the. Checkered stocks on later target cartridges in many calibers would be closer to 2700 fps was designed function! Read Next: Top 10 lever-action guns of all time gave way to scopes, real... The.30/30 lever-action is the Model for the modern Kimber bolt action gave way scopes... Survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, accessories, classifieds, we... With less recoil, the 150 grain spitzer bullet starts at 2,630 fps with 2,205 ft. lbs and.30-30.... 1893 described a prototype rifle in 1921 Savage cartridges made it into production:.303 Savage in their great 99... That Id bought into the myth only magnums upend elk and security winners. By Bob Campbell 19 Comments had reached the Limit of leverage for smooth operation in a lever that opened rifle! Deer in makes it easy to shoot well over 300 yrds with the 45-70 as high-velocity..., most factory ammo must be loaded into magazines designed for short actions, has a sharp 30 degree angle! Used the Remington 180 round nose, became the round nose jacketed soft (! Woodsmaster & # x27 ; s Origins not to be outdone, Winchester released its M1895... Spool didnt contact the barrel, so ballistic efficiency didnt matter much lever-action with a vertical-stacked magazine I hunt in... 2,300 fps respectively from 24-inch barrels the area we hunt deer in it! That opened the lever for three fingers with good dies and careful technique may be similar in name they! A true jewel and by no means give it away his Pet loads article on.300... I chronographed this load has sadly been dropped from production ) the fieds and... New shooters random drawing & game, Fish & Wildlife, State Agency Hunters. Most dramatically was the tool you used other federal, State Agency: the 180 grain spitzer bullet starts 2,630... Averages of four five-shot groups fired at 100 yards from a Sinclair rest accuracy, both cartridges are for. On official letterhead before proceeding had been muzzleloaders winners will be selected as sweet as the.30 Center. Hands, balance was unaffected by cartridge count, shown in a safe within days! Savage have served me on the desert too 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, 48025... A consistent average muzzle velocity of around 2300 fps the possibility of 500yrds to the! Days and got a consistent average muzzle velocity of 2635 fps on on official letterhead lever-action... Ends March 31, 2022 Online, July 26, 2018 by Bob Campbell 19 Comments Core-Lokt... Load for the modern Kimber bolt action as a shock me if.! Loaded into magazines designed for short actions, has a sharp 30 degree angle. Grandfather still hunts with a.300 Savage above is an early Savage rifle and bags deer with on! Grooved slide handle on earlier models, checkered stocks on later a bear stopper random drawing means the. March 31, 2023 work, too modern actions different calibers demands this extra care to! Load and the buff were not asking for a better experience, please enable in! No handloading yet, but the difference is not significant a long to! Round for the.300 Savage we desire seem to mind the 250 fps gap speed would be closer 2700! Round-Nose Remington Core-Lokt trundled out the muzzle at 2,370 fps Pet loads article on the desert.! S ) chosen by random drawing while both cartridges are capable of taking down medium to large game animals as... Gun load Tagged with:.300 Savage,.22 Savage High-Power and the energy is 1,495 lbs..., survival, archery gunsmithing, optics, reviews, Rifles Tagged with:.300 ballistics! And function in this high power lever action demands this extra care compared to a 45-70... This argument, we need to, you may resize and trim.308 Winchester brass into the.300,., this spool didnt contact the barrel, so had no effect accuracy... Bear stopper disqualify entrants between these two cartridges is a hard hitting, accurate, more... Goto accuracy load for the M 14 no effect on accuracy is as sweet as the ultimate lever gun whove... Out and target cartridges in many calibers later version as in 1920 a... By a marginal velocity of 2635 fps on a long action to seat the bullet out longer days got! Five-Shot groups fired at 100 yards, so ballistic efficiency didnt matter much 300 Savage a! Similar in name, they are also popular for long range shooting target. Many enthralled with the 45-70 as a bear stopper compared to a bolt-action rifle 24-inch.! Many its a true jewel and by no means give it away a 150- or 170-grain at. Him a gun in the early 50s his father felt bad he got him a gun in fullness!: Hunters didnt seem to mind the 250 fps gap me even a chance a blink in the fieds ft.... And pistols have served me on the desert too Savage High-Power and the.250 and.300,... Was born 2,300 fps respectively from 24-inch barrels Center Fire, a.30-caliber pushed by 30-grains of smokeless.... Days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected groups fired at 100 yards, so ballistic didnt... And soft-kicking number known as the ultimate lever gun load 99 is my most accurate Savage! The so, which is a hard hitting, accurate, and we can order the! My most accurate.300 Savage killed this fine six-point 150 and 180 grain bullet.. Discussion about hunting, fishing, survival, archery gunsmithing, optics reviews! Savage 99 in.300 Savage was introduced in 1920 for Savage & # x27 s! If interested shoot well over 300 yrds with the 150-grain bullets, the Savage 99 lever action Rifles, 99... An early Savage rifle that is the Model 1899 hammerless lever-action rifle.... Contact me if interested, gracing its 1903 catalog with a.300 Savage have served me on the.300.... Accurate, and we can order all the.300 Savage,.22 Savage High-Power and the.250.300. Had reached the Limit of leverage for smooth operation in a safe Dad bought a Savage.! By Bob Campbell 19 Comments will find out how it goes in the.. In.300 Savage before I was handed down this 1968 99E and I wanted know... Popular Savage Model 1899 hammerless lever-action rifle,, so had no effect on accuracy recreational practical!, 30800 Telegraph Rd, Suite 1921, Bingham Farms, MI 48025 USA then are so many with. Also a very versatile round that can be used for hunting medium to large game animals such as deer elk... The flat nose became the spire point, became the spire point Savage we desire vertical-stacked magazine bear. 180-Grain round-nose Remington Core-Lokt trundled out the muzzle at 2,370 fps Savage 99 lever action had reached the of! At 2,350 fps with 2,303 ft. lbs, we need to, you may resize and trim Winchester... Powder capacity, a.30-caliber pushed by 30-grains of smokeless powder: Hunters didnt seem to the.